Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Intelligence Spared

I recently participated in a debate at Saatchi organized by the group Intelligence Squared as a last minute fill in when Matthew Collings double booked. Though I found the premise jingoistic and ridiculous (“The best, most interesting art today is from Asia”) it all went rather well and I was asked to join for another on occasion of the upcoming Hong Kong International Art Fair. Just as time was drawing near and with no indication from the organizers, I coincidentally bumped into one of the principals who stated, oh you never confirmed. Whenever I am asked to do anything of the sort I am always so surprised and flattered by the offer I’ve yet to decline; so, that I didn’t confirm was disingenuous at best. Having lunch with a writer friend the other day, I mentioned my dejection at having been unceremoniously dumped from what I thought would be my virgin voyage to the land of unimaginable opportunity. Funny he said, as he was invited on a panel that he was eagerly anticipating. Funnier, when he described the topic of the discussion, he had in fact been chosen to replace me. Ha ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment