Wednesday, April 7, 2010

unilateral cyber squabble



“Kenny: You have to learn to post your comments in the thread; you can't only post on the Wall. Cut-and-paste these into the...thread. I am going to delete them in the next hour. Thank you" this was message i just received before my postings were unceremoniously deleted. lost to posterity. all due to not adhering to protocol i was unfamiliar with. ahh the anarchy of the web, you must love it.

Instead of a gentle comeuppance for my lack of net decorum, I received a digital slap-down. Ouch. And to boot, the language i was chided with bordered on didactic. When I crossed the invisible but solid line of facebook etiquette the repercussions were swift and unequivocal.

Why not a kind, soft landing of complaint rather than a scorched earth? Or am I paranoid. We express our own worst fears about ourselves when we claim to criticize others (one of my erased texts).

Our walls are our own(ed) cyber "space", though public and private simultaneously.

No comments:

Post a Comment